Here's a simple summer dish that is full of fun colors and plenty of flavor. A fun twist on a classic Caprese, this dish requires minimal effort and can be made as an appetizer, side, or as a light lunch. The acidic quality of the red wine vinegar plays nicely with the sweet meat of the tomatoes, the sharp bite of the red onion, and the mild creamy texture of the mozzarella. The simplicity of this salad makes it a perfect pick for a hot summer day, and with a bit of presentation it can become a vibrant centerpiece to any entertainer's table.
Sliced Tomato Summer Salad
- 3 Large, Ripe, Hot House Tomatoes, Sliced
- 1 Medium Red Onion, Sliced into rounds
- 1 1/2 cups of Arugula or Mixed Greens
- 2 Ripe Avocados (Perfectly ripe avocados will be just slightly soft to the touch, but still firm. They will be dark in color, with little to no green left on the skin.), Sliced
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese, diced
- 1/2 cup Manchego Cheese, diced
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp dried, ground basil
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic, pressed
- 1 tsp Dry Mustard
- 2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
*Drizzle the salad with the dressing, sprinkle the oregano, basil, sea salt, and pepper across the plate, and there you have it!
I serve this salad with a side of hearty sliced bread, such as a Seeded Sourdough, or a soft Crusty French Bread.