Enjoy! Because life is too short to deprive the palate!

8.27.2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup

When I was younger I remember going to a restaurant in downtown Tucson with my mother and having my first memorable bite of Chicken Tortilla Soup. There were thick juicy slices of fresh green avocados atop crunchy salty tortilla strips. The bowl was finished off with a generous blanket of deliciously gooey cheddar cheese. This was my inspiration when creating this recipe.

This soup was the first dish I ever made in my Crockpot- in fact it was the motivating factor behind my purchase of said Crockpot. I just had the feeling that this soup would be a perfect Crockpot cook. The ingredients are easy to find and cheap to stockpile and the results are simply mouth-watering! Enjoy :]

Chicken Tortilla Soup
  • 3 cups boneless skinless Chicken Breast, cubed
  • 2 cups whole kernel corn, thawed if frozen.
  • 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
  • 2 cans of Low Sodium Chicken Broth (14.5oz ea.)
  • 1 can Tomato Puree (10.5 oz)
  • 1 can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles (10 oz)
  • 1 tsp Kosher Salt
  • 3 tsp. Ground Cumin
  • 1-3 tsp Chili Powder (Adjust for your spice preference)
  • 1 tsp freshly cracked Black Pepper
  • 2 tsp Cayenne red pepper (or 1 to reduce the heat)
  • 2 Bay Leaves
TOPPING
  • 2+ cups Shredded Cheese (I use a Mexican or 3 Cheese Blend)
  • 1 cup Fresh Chopped Cilantro
  • 6 Soft Corn Tortillas
  • 2 Avocados, Sliced
  • Seasoning Salt 
* To prepare the soup combine all ingredients (minus those set aside for the topping) into your slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. I tend to check it after two and adjust the spice and salt to my liking. After 6 hours turn the pot to high and cook an additional 20-30 minutes. During this time preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Slice the corn tortillas into long thin strips. Place on tin-foil lined baking sheet and sprinkle with seasoned salt. Bake for 5 minutes and then turn and bake for an additional 3 minutes until crisp.

*Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the tortilla strips, avocado, and cheese. Add the cilantro as the final touch. 

I use these proportions in a 6 quart Crockpot and yield approximately 8 servings. Which makes this a perfect dish for a get together or one to ensure left-overs!

Happy Eating :]  

<3 Marea 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and let me know what you think! I'm always eager to absorb your input :] Thank you for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...